Smoking is prohibited:
- Inside a Public Building;
- Within 7.5 m of an entrance to a Public Building, or of any air intake or window of a Public Building;
- In specific locations of a City park, i.e.: on or within a 7.5 m buffer zone surrounding a playground, beach or playing field;
- In or under an outdoor recreational structure, including, but not limited to bleachers, grandstands, gazebos, seating areas;
- At a City cemetery or a cemetery the City is licensed to maintain;
- In or within a 7.5 m buffer zone of a transit bus shelter; and
- During Outdoor Special Events.
Products IncludedCigarettes, Cigars, Pipes, Electronic Smoking Devices, Other Weeds and Substances, Waterpipes
“Outdoor Special Event” means a pre-planned community event including, but not limited to an event with a permit pursuant to the Temporary Street Closure for Community Events Policy No. 185, including any events explicitly exempted from any part of said Policy, as well as any parade or recreational and/or fundraising events.
“Public Building” means a building or structure owned, leased by or from, or otherwise occupied by the City, as well as the Cariboo Memorial Recreation Complex.
“Smoke” or “Smoking” means to inhale, exhale, burn, or have control over a lighted cigar, cigarette, electronic cigarette, hooka pipe, pipe, or other lighted smoking implement designed to burn or heat tobacco or any other substance for the purpose of inhaling or tasting of its smoke or emissions.
Places Smoking ProhibitedBeaches
Sports and Recreational Fields and Facilities
Buffer ZonesBeaches - Buffer Zone 1-10 m
Doorways, Air Intakes and Operable Windows - Buffer Zone 1-10 m
Playgrounds - Buffer Zone 1-10 m
Sports and Recreational Fields and Facilities - Buffer Zone 1-10 m
Transit Shelters/Stops - Buffer Zone 1-10 m
This is a leading edge bylaw because it prohibits the use of electronic cigarettes and waterpipes inside municipal buildings as well as at outdoor spaces listed. It is also leading edge because it prohibits smoking on and within 7.5 m of beaches and in and within 7.5 m of transit shelters, as well as at special events.
Date Passed: February 24, 2015
Date in Force:
Date Last Amended:
Leading Edge: Yes
Level of Government: Municipal
Smoke-free Ontario Act Status: Exceeds Smoke-free Ontario Act
Bylaw Under Development? No
Please find contact information related to this bylaw, and links to supporting materials.