No person shall smoke any substance in any playground areas, sports fields or dog parks.
Products IncludedCigarettes, Cigars, Pipes, Other Weeds and Substances, Waterpipes
“Open space area” shall mean any of the following:
- Any land in the City which is developed, used, leased, controlled or managed by the City as a public park, sports field, playground or recreational area, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, all lands in the City which are jointly controlled or managed by the City and an Educational Authority for any of the purposes previously described;
- Any land acquired by the City through the subdivision process as reserve;
- Any land used as a highway buffer strip, whether on a permanent or temporary basis;
- Any land designated by resolution of Council as an open space area for the purposes of this bylaw; and
- Any land developed by the City as a pathway in its Heritage Grove Pathway System.
“Pathway” shall include any multiple-use path.
Although this bylaw does not include a definition of smoking, the city’s smoke-free bylaw does.
“Smoke” or “smoking” includes the carrying or custody and control of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other lighted smoking equipment.
Places Smoking ProhibitedParks
Playgrounds, which may include Splash Pads and Wading Pools
Sports and Recreational Fields and Facilities
This bylaw is considered leading edge by virtue of a prohibition on smoking “any substance” on playgrounds, sports fields or in dog parks. However, note that no smoke-free buffer zones have been included.
Date Passed: May 25, 2015
Date in Force: June 15, 2015
Date Last Amended:
Leading Edge: Yes
Level of Government: Municipal
Smoke-free Ontario Act Status: Exceeds Smoke-free Ontario Act
Bylaw Under Development? No
Please find contact information related to this bylaw, and links to supporting materials.